The giant snakehead or locally called toman is a monster fish with a notorious reputation.
The giant snakehead fish is native to Malaysia and can be found all over the country mostly in ponds and lakes, and certain rivers.
Royal Belum and Temenggor lake are some of the best places to catch these vicious yet stunningly beautiful fish that can reach 10kg (22 pounds) or more in their breathtaking natural wild environment.
Quick Facts About Royal Belum State Park
- The rainforest of Royal Belum is one of the oldest in the world at 130 million years old
- Contains about 6,050 million cubic meters of water
- Created after the completion of the Temenggor dam in 1974
- Covers an area measuring 117,000 hectares (290,000 hectares total Temenggor area)
- In 2014, the Malaysian government proposed to turn part of it into a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- One of the largest concentration of hornbills in the world can be found in Royal Belum
- Only place in the world where all 10 species of Malaysian hornbills in found in one location
- Home to 23 species of freshwater fish and 5 species of turtles
If you look at the facts above, you must bring a camera when visiting, especially a decent camera if you love nature and wildlife.
Where Is It?
Part of Royal Belum borders Thailand. Most visitors will come from the west and pass through the town of Grik which is located in the state of Perak. The ‘silver state’ of Malaysia and where peacock bass roams!
Distance and Travel Time by Road to Royal Belum
Kuala Lumpur – Royal Belum 370km 4-4.5 hours
Penang Island – Royal Belum 170km 2.5 hours
Common Fish Species
- Toman (Giant Snakehead)
- Sebarau (Hampala Barb aka jungle perch)
- Lampam Sungai (Barboides)
- Kelah (Malaysian Mahseer)
- Kalui (Giant Gouramy)
- Baung (Catfish)
Things To Do in Royal Belum
- Bait fishing, lure fishing, fly fishing!
- Houseboat stay
Other Activities That May Interest You
- Trek into the rainforest
- Lake cruise
- Rafflesia flower
- Waterfall visit
- Orang asli (Aborigines) village visit
- Wildlife salt lick
What Is The Best Time To Fish for Giant Snakehead and Hampala Barb in Royal Belum
Royal Belum is fishable year-long. The only difference is how much rain falls affect the environment and how hot it is.
December can be quite cold at night especially in the houseboat.
Generally, rain triggers the snakehead into spawning. Rise in water level will see the sebarau (kampala barb) swimming upstream to spawn.
Houseboat Stay and Fishing
You can choose to live onboard our houseboat and tour the area or live onboard with fishing, too.
The smallest houseboat is capable of accommodating 8 persons.
Fishing is done from 6 meters (18 foot) fibreglass boats that can comfortable fish two anglers. A guide will drive the boat.
A week-long trip will offer you the most enjoyment and a relaxed trip, and a suggested minimum 3-day 2-night package from the houseboat.
Stay in a Hotel
At time of writing this, there is only one proper hotel on location – the Belum Rainforest Resort.
If you choose to stay here, we will pick you up in our boat right at from the hotel doorstep, very convenient and head straight to the fishing spots.
This option is preferred by those seeking modern and more comfortable lodging. May be of consideration for those with non-fishing partners.
We are a 100% local operation. Should you have any questions, wish to make a booking or enquire about available dates, please contact us here.